Sunday, February 2, 2020

good kid, m.A.A.d city by Kendrick Lamar - ALBUM REVIEW

Image result for good kid maad city"

You may not immediately realize it from my last two album reviews, but I would like to keep things positive on this here revamped blog. Thus, at least once a week, if not more, I'm going to try to review an album that I would grade an 8/10 or higher, or in layman's terms, "really damn good". With that said, let's take a look back at the breakthrough album of one of my favourite rappers, Kendrick Lamar.

good kid, m.A.A.d city is the album that rightfully broke Kendrick Lamar into the mainstream right around the tail end of 2012. And boy, did we need an album like this in 2012. Kendrick effortlessly weaves tales of alcoholism, gang violence, and the harsh conditions of life in his home city of Compton. This album has star-making quality all over it, even if its themes were generally too serious to make waves on the Hot 100 proper. Kendrick comes out swinging with every track, sporting a defiant and distinct tone in his voice. I remember when I first heard "Swimming Pools (Drank)", I wasn't quite sure what to make of Kendrick's performance as a rapper. It has certainly grown on me through the years, and I think at least part of that is thanks to the care he puts in making his albums and each song on them. Barring the last two songs which I think would have served better on a bonus edition, not a single track here feels superfluous or unnecessary. Each one serves to weave the narrative of Kendrick's life growing up in Compton. The production on these songs is also immaculate, ranging from smooth guitar tones on "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" to classic G-funk synths on "m.A.A.d. city". It's a masterpiece of an album , and the astonishing thing is that Kendrick would only get better from here.

9/10

Best Tracks: "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe", "Backseat Freestyle", "Money Trees" (ft. Jay Rock), "Poetic Justice" (ft. Drake), "m.A.A.d city" (ft. MC Eiht), "Swimming Pools (Drank)"

No comments:

Post a Comment