Friday, February 14, 2014

Flashback Friday: "I Wish It Would Rain" - The Temptations (1968)

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody! You know, Valentine's Day is a time for love, for passion, for showing how much you... aw, who am I kidding with this bullshit? Valentine's Day sucks!

Whatever manufactured "love" this holiday generates, the mood always seems to be lost on people like me. Sometimes, I just wish that it would rain! (Or at this point, anything but snow.) And when I wish for it to rain, well, I just turn to my good friends, The Temptations.


The Temptations, for those who don't know (and if you know anything about music, why do you not know?) are an American Motown vocal group best-remembered for their hits in the 60s and 70s. I say "are" because they're still around today, albeit under a very different lineup. Otis Williams is the only surviving original member of the group, but they're still releasing new albums today.

Anyway, back to this song. It's perfect for someone experiencing heartbreak. The sounds in the song, such as thunder to accompany the rain, are done beautifully. The whole "man wanting to hide his tears" thing also works as a secondary reason for it to rain. And of course, David Ruffin and the rest of The Temptations just deliver. Ruffin says he doesn't want to show himself crying, but you can almost hear him breaking down into tears. This is passion and heartbreak at its finest, something we scarcely get today. I guess there's Adele, but she hasn't released anything in a while. Anyway, try and have a happy Valentine's Day, even if you don't have anyone with you. There are plenty of songs for that breed.

No comments:

Post a Comment