Sunday, September 14, 2014

"Anaconda" - Nicki Minaj

This may seem like a standard question for this artist after hits such as "Stupid Hoe", but... what is Nicki Minaj doing?


Besides re-mixing a Sir Mix-a-Lot song, that is? That's basically all she's doing. Half this stupid song is just sampling.

My anaconda don't
My anaconda don't
My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hun

That sequence right there appears four times in the song. Four times! Which actually wouldn't be bad, if this was the only lyric sample used.

Oh my gosh, look at her butt
Oh my gosh, look at her butt

Well, first off, there's that, chipmunk-style.

Little in the middle but she got much back

Aaaand then there's also that. This is barely a Nicki Minaj song. But there's still enough here not to make me forget.

This dude named Michael used to ride motorcycles
Dick bigger than a tower, I ain't talking about Eiffel's

Uh... okay? Which tower are you talking about then, Nicki? Sears Tower? CN Tower? Tower of Babylon? Help me out here.

Actually, a lot of the lyrics here aren't half bad, save for the "fuck those skinny bitches" comments at the end that really just come out of nowhere. Nicki Minaj is talented. She really is. She just seems to squander that talent in a lot of her songs. But I can honestly see a little bit of good in this one. Just a little bit, though.

He toss my salad like his name Romaine

What can I say? It's kinda clever.

But while there are some good moments in this song, they are, yet again, squandered by the terrible moments. This song definitely could have been at least a minute shorter if you took out all that unnecessary sampling between the second and third verse. I really don't understand that. Some have praised Nicki Minaj for "taking back" the song "Baby Got Back" for the ladies (which... makes no sense, as it was originally written by a dude), but if you're going to just use samples from the song over and over again and barely do anything with them, are you really making it your own, or just being lazy and annoying?



Probably lazy and annoying.

While this isn't the worst thing Nicki Minaj has ever put out, it's still a damn stupid song with not enough reason to justify its existence. All this song makes me want to do is go back and listen to "Baby Got Back". Which I think I shall do. Thanks for the suggestion, Nicki!

No comments:

Post a Comment