Sunday, September 28, 2014

"Don't Tell 'Em" - Jeremih ft. YG

Well, I guess I was wrong. Rap's not dead, guys! Here we are with a new honest-to-god rap song in the Top 10! Fear not, rap lovers! Your saviour goes by the name of... Jeremih.


Yeah, that Jeremih. The kind of guy that you sorta knew, and was sorta on your radar, but didn't really seem cool enough to stick around, at all... but for some reason, he did! And now here we are in 2014 with a new Jeremih song, "Don't Tell 'Em".


Rhythm is a dancer

Um... uh...



And it's not just the one line he rips off. The first half of the chorus is structured around this song's melody. But I like the melody, and I suppose I could forgive it if they did something interesting with it... wait, who's that on the beat?

Mustard on the beat, ho

Okay, never mind.

Actually, I kind of get why Jeremih wanted DJ Mustard to do the beat for this song. "Finally," he thought. "Finally, someone in the music business with less personality than me!"

Of course, that's like saying a bale of hay has more personality than a bale of straw. Jeremih is a good name for this guy, because of the way it's spelled, I can just pronounce it "Jere-meh" and I doubt many people will bat an eye.

I know I said that rap in general doesn't show signs of making a comeback, but this reaching the Top 10 really, really baffles me. Did people seriously want Jeremih back? Was this what the public was craving?

God, this song is so boring! Isn't there someone on this track who can liven things up?


YG: Throw it up 9-3-4, 8-6-1-6
I got a missed call from your bitch

Nah, there's nobody.

Granted, YG is the liveliest person on this track, but he's kind of like the bay of hale with a needle in it, in terms of personality. It's not a very sharp needle, either.

Three boring people making boring music, but somehow it resonates with the American people. What, was music just getting too interesting for you guys? I don't get it. This is the type of song that maybe cracks the Top 50 and leaves almost immediately. This is the type of song that really shouldn't become popular...

But, apparently, this is the type of song that does. Whatever. I don't get it, and I don't know if I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment