Sunday, September 21, 2014

"Boom Clap" - Charli XCX

Cue boom.
Cue clap.


Am I doing it right?


So in addition to Iggy Azalea becoming a household name, Charli XCX has made quite a name for herself this year as well, most notably singing the chorus on "Fancy" and singing this song, which was the first single off of the The Fault in Our Stars soundtrack. So, how has Charli evolved into her little pop world from not caring and loving it?

Well, while this new song isn't really anything I haven't heard before, I still kinda like it. I actually like the vocal performance better on the verses than on the chorus, which kind of makes me think that Charli XCX should try toning it down more often. Hell, maybe even release a ballad, just to mess with people's heads. The chorus, however, seems kind of lame to me. It just sort of meanders along without being nearly as punchy as "I Love It". At least it's better than "Fancy".

Now I haven't seen this movie or read the book (whoops, there goes the teenage girl fanbase I never had), so I can't tell you how well this song fits into the movie's soundtrack. That is, unless I go the cheap route and quickly consult Wikipedia!

Okay, The Fault in Our Stars... The Fault in Our Stars... okay, so a girl has cancer... attends a support group... another guy lost his leg to cancer... boom? Clap?

All right, I'm definitely not the right person to judge, but I don't see the connection between the movie and the song. Whatever. It's still a fun song that shows why Charli XCX deserves a spot in mainstream pop music. Boom, clap, this song ain't crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment