Sunday, July 20, 2014

"Break Free" - Ariana Grande ft. Zedd

Florida Georgia Line... Maroon 5... Jason Derulo... oh God, when will the madness end?!



Oh, thank God. Ariana Grande can bring me back to music nirvana. Not the band Nirvana, but... the concept... in Buddhism... you know what I mean! Let's cleanse the soul of Billboard with some Ariana Grande... whoa, what's with all the buzzing and shit?

Oh, this is Ariana Grande featuring Zedd. Zedd is one of those EDM DJs, and while I've consistently liked his songs, this is a little bit of a harsh opening. Come on, man. You're not even the main credit.

Thankfully, once that buzzing ends, we get Ariana Grande's great voice, as it should be on her track. Now, what is this song about? Well, it's about an ex-boyfriend that Ariana has found it hard to let go of, but now she is feeling great about her single life, and... wait, hold on a second.



This is the same thing that "Problem" went through! And while I loved "Problem", and still do, I don't know if we need a second one. I mean, is it really that necessary? What about the rest of what 2014 is offering us?



Eh...




Meh...


Guh...

...You know what? Bring on the second "Problem".

I can also accept this song because while it is thematically like "Problem", it doesn't sound like "Problem". "Problem" sounded like a great mix of modern and old ideas in music, from the jazzy saxophone to the whispery chorus (thanks Big Sean). This is a tad more generic, but it's still saved by Grande's voice, and the fact that she's never done an EDM song before, so even though we've heard the sound before, we've never heard it coupled with Grande's voice.

Overall, I'd say I definitely prefer "Problem" to this song, but this is still a worthy inclusion in the Hot 100. Worthier than any of the three songs above, I'll tell you that. Bring on the Grande! She can do ten different versions of the same subject, for all I care. We need more summer jams! Ones that don't suck, specifically. It just feels so good, to finally be able to compliment something. Here's to the rest of summer being magically musical.


Uhh... I'll be back next week to cover this. God damn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment