Tuesday, July 15, 2014

CanTunes Tuesday: "Life of the Party" - Shawn Mendes

You know, when I see a song with "party" in its title, I sort of expect it to be lively, fun, full of adventure and excitement. What I don't expect is for it to be... this.


This is Shawn Mendes, a rising... well, for lack of a better term, let's call him a "star", starting out singing songs on Vine and somehow getting a hit single off of that. It's a whole new world, people. Anybody can be a star, even 15-year-old schlubs.

Okay, yeah, he is only 15. So I have to give the guy a little credit, because the last Canadian 15-year-old I remember hearing on the radio is Justin Bieber, and to this guy's credit, he is no Justin Bieber. But I think he still needs a bit of time for perfection, because... he's pretty mumbly.

We dun hefta be oawhinawee
Make your bess missake

is what I hear coming from his mouth. But to his credit, even though the lyrics don't invoke any sense of partying, they're still pretty good. Again, using Justin Bieber for comparison, they're pretty good. There's still a couple missteps here and there...

Hearts are gonna break

Hearts are gonna break? Whose hearts are gonna break by someone being the life of the party? The previous life of the party, maybe, for being dethroned? Help me out, Shawnie.

Even though I seem a little harsh on this song, I still am kinda grateful for it. Once again, this is mostly due to the fact that it's not Justin Bieber. I have the capacity to respect things that are not Justin Bieber. And I've linked to Justin Bieber way too many times in this review. So overall, decent song for a 15-year-old, and let's hope he gets better with age. Let's hope. Crossin' my fingers here.

No comments:

Post a Comment