Sunday, July 13, 2014

"Classic" - MKTO

Well, it looks like pop music's starting to get tired of pop music again. While that's not hard with acts like Jason Derulo still making it big, it is a little soon after just last year Lorde lectured us on gold teeth, Grey Goose, and whatnot. But let's take a look at this new entry, appropriately titled "Classic".



Hey! Where's the drums?

Yeah, and where's Eminem's snare?



Ooh girl you’re shining
Like a 5th avenue diamond

So the song begins in a pretty standard way, a pickup line directed at a girl. But then it takes a little bit of a twist.

And they don’t make you like they used to
You’re never going out of style

It's not only a love song, it's a song decrying the morals and attitudes of today, wanting to go back to the years of Michael Jackson

I wanna thrill you like Michael

and Prince

I wanna kiss you like Prince

and Marvin Gaye.

Let’s get it on like Marvin Gaye
Like Hathaway

And... Anne Hathaway, I guess? Do they mean Shakespeare's wife, or the shockingly modern Anne Hathaway? Because that seems to contradict the idea of this song.

That's what kind of bothers me about this song: it's a pretty simple concept, and yet they can't stick to it. Here's another "classic" artist they name-drop.



Yeah... because remember the days of Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, and Beyoncé?

That's what's keeping me away from this song, despite its catchiness. It seems like the lyrics were done really sloppily, without much thought put into them. I mean, no matter which way you put it, Beyoncé isn't classic. Classy? Sure, I'll give you that one. But not classic.

You're over my head I’m out of my mind

Yeah, this song is kind of out of its mind, or at least out of its depth. I don't hate the song. I mean, musically, it's pretty good. But I can't get past the lyrics, which I don't think were well thought out. Thinking about your lyrics. Now that's classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment