Tuesday, July 8, 2014

CanTunes Tuesday: "Heavy Love" - Serena Ryder

Today, we look at the current face of Canadian adult contemporary music. That's right, move over, Sarah McLachlan! There's a new sheriff in town, and she goes by the name... of Ryder.



Serena fulfills her role of being the face of Canadian adult contemporary perfectly: she's got enough of a soul to be not completely worthless to listen to, but she's also tame enough that she won't scare away your typical middle-aged lite-rock listener. And here we are with "Heavy Love", possibly her tamest song yet.

Basically, if Serena Ryder were to do a caricature of herself, this is what it would sound like. If Serena Ryder decided to tap into her inner bore, this is what it would sound like. I've always thought Serena Ryder was a mediocre artist, but this is a new low.

Okay, it's not that bad. But I feel like this song is supposed to create an emotion in me, and... it doesn't. It really, really doesn't. It's not interesting enough for that. It's also not intelligent enough for that. I honestly don't even know what this song is supposed to be about.

Got a heavy love
Rolling like thunder
Coming from above

So, that's part of the chorus. And supposedly what this song is supposed to be about; Serena Ryder's unequivocal love for everything. Whatever. But then here's something else in the song:

So get off the way
Out of my way
You are in my way

Wow. That doesn't sound very lovable.

That's the real problem of this song; it tries to manipulate you into thinking its lyrics make sense and are SOOOO INSPIRATIONAL with its sound, but really, they're indecipherable. The verses seem to indicate an abusive relationship:

Why did you tell me you wanted me to be free
Then turn around and hold me so tight I couldn't breathe

But then what's all this "heavy love" crap in the chorus? If she wanted to say that she had strength, or was brave, or something, then that would make more sense. But she's counteracting this bad behaviour by saying that she has... love? Like, a clichéd kind of love in every single way possible?

Falling like the rain
Burning like fire

What else you got, Serena? Blowing like the wind? Shining like the sun?

Look, I may be reading too much into this. I think Serena Ryder is, for the most part, a clumsy songwriter who tries to make up for it with her music. But I don't think her music's that great either, so I notice these strange and bizarre lyrics, as well as the boring, clichéd ones. You can't pull the wool over my eyes, Serena! I'm a tough nut to crack! See, I can use them too. It's not hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment