Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Keep Them Kisses Comin'" - Craig Campbell

Okay, so if I don't want Florida Georgia Line dictating country music, then I must want someone like Craig Campbell, right? Well... he's a better alternative, I guess.


I mean, he's not great, but he's better than a lot of country I've been seeing recently. I think it has something to do with his sincerity. You see, country music has gotten a lot more frat-douchey lately...


None of these new artists sound like they actually love the girls they're singing about. They sound about as sincere as Jason Derulo in that regard. But this guy? Yeah, he sounds like the real deal. This sounds like love:


I can’t imagine doin’ nothin but what I’m doin
Just layin’ round tangled up with you
We got our buzz on sippin’ on a little something

Like I said, it's not perfect. There has to be some hamfisted reference to alcohol thrown in there, or it's not modern country. But it's a step in the right direction. It's also short as well as it is sweet, which is another bonus. Give the guy a couple extra bars and he might have said something about his truck...


God please not that song.

Yeah, there's just something about the way Campbell crafts his lyrics that sets him apart from modern country. It still sounds like modern country in every other aspect, but I can't help but think that he's a little more aware of what the genre has become, and is working to change that, little by little. Good for him... and for me... and for all country listeners.

Hot 100 Success:

Will he have it?

I don't know. Country music as a whole is starting to fade out, and I don't think Craig is going to get much attention by deviating from the bro-douchey formula.

Should he have it?

In respect to other country music today, definitely. I'd like to see what else he's got.

No comments:

Post a Comment