Tuesday, July 1, 2014

CanTunes Tuesday: "More Than Friends" - Victoria Duffield

There's this show we have in Canada called The Next Star.



It's essentially American Idol for Canadian adolescents. They audition for the show, and then sing, and voting happens, I think... I don't know, I've never actually watched the show. What I do know is that The Next Star produced two homegrown stars: Alyssa Reid, who I already covered, and Victoria Duffield.



Now I've heard some of Victoria's stuff and... it's not that bad. It's not great, but I've definitely heard worse teeny-bop music. And the latest installment of that music comes this year, with "More Than Friends".


This song is about... wanting to be more than friends. That's about it. Pretty much another okay song in Victoria's discography.

That's a problem I have with her: I don't feel any emotion listening to her music. It's not bad, but it is very distanced from any authentic emotion. Of course, I expect nothing more from a finalist of a teenage Canadian singing competition (neither her nor Alyssa Reid actually won), and at least it's not annoying, like a certain other Canadian act I'd like to go away.

But there's no star quality with Victoria Duffield, which does explain why she didn't win. She doesn't stand out in any way. Like, take this song for instance. So you want to be more than friends. So what? By pussyfooting around what you actually want to say like this, you give yourself even less of a personality. And that's something that you definitely don't need.

I don't hate Victoria Duffield, but she is pretty forgettable and bland. Kind of like some of the winners of American Idol, ironically.

No comments:

Post a Comment