Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Wasted" - Tiësto ft. Matthew Koma

Well, looks like Tiësto's "Red Lights" rightfully went nowhere. So, I guess second time's the charm?



This is "Wasted", and while I guess it's better than "Red Lights", it still doesn't get me excited over Tiësto at all. He's not doing anything that hasn't already been done. He's got the high-pitched reverb-laden guest vocals, the Avicii-sounding production... he's like some mediocre mish-mash of a bunch of EDM artists, and this single just helps along the opinion that he doesn't belong in the Top 50.

But just so I'm not ending it here, let's talk about this video, which is pretty much the only interesting thing about this song, in that it's totally insane. See, the video's premise is that a bunch of women get together to party and watch a TV show starring Tiësto. Therein lies the insanity. I have a very hard time suspending my disbelief that anyone would watch a TV show with Tiësto in it.

Okay, maybe I'm being a little hard on the guy. He's not terrible. I just don't see any reason he should become famous when EDM artists have already done what he did in a better way. The lyrics, scarce as they are, are okay, I guess... they're about not only the partying lifestyle, but how people can actually be more enjoyable while you're intoxicated. Kind of a dark message, but it's still better than encouraging youth to run red lights. I wonder how many Tiësto-related car crashes we've had this year?

I suppose if Tiësto keeps improving like this, he'll one day fall into my good graces. But he's still got a ways to go. A long ways.

Hot 100 Success:

Will he have it this time?

He just doesn't stand out, and if "Red Lights" didn't get popular, I don't see why this song should, either, despite it being a little better.

Should he have it this time?

Like I said, I'm nowhere near close to being sold on Tiësto. He's got to do a lot more to impress me than rip off as many EDM artists as he can at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment