Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Studio" - SchoolBoy Q ft. BJ The Chicago Kid

Hey, it's SchoolBoy Q again! Only this time, he's the main artist on the track. (Note: Video is marked explicit for a reason, that is, NSFW.)



The real question is: Is this track any good? Also, is it good enough to finally launch him into the Top 50? Well, let's take a listen.

...By which I mean, we'll take a listen after the opening dialogue is done. *sigh* Okay, he's at the studio... his girl wants him back home... riveting. Just riveting. Get to the song! (Also, gosh, her cell phone battery sure is low. Charge it, girl!)

So we open the song with a pretty interesting beat. It opens with the hook, which essentially retells the beginning of the video in song form.

BJ The Chicago Kid: I'm just sitting in the studio just trying to get to you, baby

So what's keeping you, man?

But this song so fucking dope, girl, it's hard for me not to blaze it

Ah. Narcissism. Don't worry, I totally get it now.

The beginning of this song's a little weird, actually. SchoolBoy keeps on saying how much he wants to be home, but that line above works to nullify that point. He doesn't want to be home. He wants to finish his song. He doesn't say it like "Oh, I have to finish this song", he says it like "Girl, I gotta finish this song, because it's awesome and I'm awesome." And I know it's by a different artist, but I count them as being part of the same narrative and having the same mindset.

Later on, SchoolBoy goes a bit more general with his lyrics:

You need a real nigga shorty so come in
Throw that pussy shorty, see I think you and me can make it
This little verse to get you naked

Yep. "I'm gonna rap a verse, and then you're gonna take your clothes off because of it, because I'm awesome like that!' God, this really is a narcissist's wet dream. Hey, SchoolBoy. Maybe your verse would work on getting her naked if it was... romantic in any way?

See your heart ain't meant for breaking
Cupid's never been mistaken

Oh. Okay.

See, I been caught up in the moment
Shit, my type ain't quite her type

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. SchoolBoy actually admits his faults in these lyrics. Maybe I was wrong to dismiss him so soon.

I see qualities in a bad girl, I know that ass you got
Come with attitude and your swag, girl, you ain't wrong, girl
Just when that door knock lose your thong, girl
Cause you girl, cause you girl, girl, cause you girl, girl

...

...

Those last few lines were pretty stupid.

I don't know. I feel like the guy tries to be meaningful at some parts, and then he just loses me. What's up with his flow, too? He's like the Christopher Walken of rapping. No, that's a bad comparison. Christopher Walken comes off as likable, at least. This guy? Not so much. Lil Wayne Lite, maybe.

Hot 100 Success:

Will he have it?

I've been hearing the name "SchoolBoy Q" long before reviewing a song by him, so I'm surprised he hasn't already. Even though I have problems with this song, like, a lot, I think he's still on his way to Hot 100 success due to the recognition he already has.

Should he have it?

I want to stick up for the guy. But on the other hand, no I don't. Go back to school, Boy Q.

No comments:

Post a Comment