Tuesday, January 27, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday (Flashback): "For the Nights I Can't Remember" - Hedley (2008)

It's been one week into the protest and already I'm sick of Paul Anka.



Yes, and I'd like to forget. No, today, despite having no new Canadian songs on the Canadian charts, we shall venture on with a blast into the more recent past: Hedley!



I've covered Hedley a few times in this blog, you know, back when they still had hits, but I've never gone back to look at one of their older hits. Here's one of their biggest from 2008, called "For the Nights I Can't Remember".



This is where Hedley opted to go a little softer than their original sound entailed. Before, they were an energetic pop rock group with hits such as "On My Own" and "Trip"... wait, "Trip"?



Huh, so I guess they always had it in 'em. Okay, so this song really doesn't deviate from their sound at all. It just adopts a part of it. Okay, so Hedley's doing a love ballad. How does it go?

I see it in the way you would do
When no one else could ever get through
Holding back till I come around
Time and time again you wait for me to come in

So the guy's apologizing to the girl for being kind of a jackass, coming in late and such, and also praising his girl for putting up with it. Well, that's a song. Okay, keep going.

I would never let you down
If I was running backwards in full time

You... you already did, dude. This isn't how apologies work.

Okay, I'm nitpicking here. I actually do think this is a very sweet song. It's got a nice, somber melody, and typically I'm not fond of Jacob Hoggard's vocals (yep, that's still his name) but I think he gets the job done by adding a little vulnerability to his performance here.

Because if falling for you girl is crazy
Then I’m going out of my mind

And maybe falling for this song is crazy. But... oh god, he's so dreamy!

No comments:

Post a Comment