Friday, January 16, 2015

Flashback Friday: "Because of You" - Kelly Clarkson (2006)

Remember American Idol?



Sure you do. The show that was entertaining because of the judges, and almost never because of the lifeless, soulless performers that got up on the stage? Yeah, that American Idol. I... don't know which one you were thinking of.

But despite AI's reputation for slamming mediocre performer after mediocre performer down our throats, there have been a few standout gems, one of whom was the first winner, Kelly Clarkson.





I think I had an almost embarrassing obsession with Kelly Clarkson as a youngster. Back in her Breakaway heyday, all the songs she made either rocked hard or tugged at your heartstrings. And as I grow older, I begin to appreciate her softer side a little more, especially with songs like "Because of You".



A lot of people cite "Since U Been Gone" as Kelly's magnum opus, and admittedly it makes a good case. It's the song everyone thinks of when they think of Kelly Clarkson. In-your-face with just enough of an edge to be hard-hitting, but not enough to make Kelly unlikable. But me personally? I'd cite "Because of You" as my favourite Kelly Clarkson song.

Kelly's always been American Idol's best vocalist, there's no question about that. (Seriously, who were you thinking, Chris Daughtry? Yeesh.) And I feel that this is the song where she has the most control over the mood solely through her vocals. She plays it relatively calm until the last part of the bridge where she rightfully begins to belt out her pent-up emotions. And what emotions they are.

Because of you I tried my hardest just to forget everything
Because of you I don't know how to let anyone else in

Lyrically, I think this song is also Kelly Clarkson's best. It's certainly the most introspective emotionally. I love Kelly, but she's sometimes a little distant lyrically. I like her songs, but I don't fully understand what she's feeling in some of her songs. Here, there's no question. She is hurting bad.

My heart can't possibly break
When it wasn't even whole to start with

She's at her wit's end, and you can feel it in both the lyrics and the vocals. It's a beautifully put together song, and holy shit guys, Breakaway is more than ten years old now. Is my hair going gray yet? Whatever. Great song, great album. I stand by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment