Friday, January 23, 2015

Flashback Friday: "Calendar Girl" - Neil Sedaka (1961)

Today, we're going back to a time when naming off months of the year could get you a spot on the Hot 100.



He loves, he loves, he loves his little calendar girl. Every day of the year. Let's take a look at what I can only assume are lyrics that don't sound cheesy at all.

January, you start the year all fine
February, you're my little Valentine
March, I'm gonna march you down the aisle

Euugh, that "March" one is pretty bad. Well, it can't get any worse, right?

April, you're the Easter Bunny when you smile

...whaaaa?

The Easter Bunny? You're comparing this girl to the Easter Bunny? How does that comparison jump out at you? I mean, yeah, Easter happens in April, but holy shit man, so does spring! Why not compare her smile to a flower? Or say she makes the showers go away when she smiles? I don't know, something other than the god damned Easter Bunny!



This is what his smile reminds you of, lady. Okay, so how's the rest of the song? Well, it's passable I guess. It's a pretty corny concept, but I can at least concede that nothing like this has ever been done before. And I can't think of any time where it was done again. So let's ignore the possible reasons why this may be, and just appreciate the song for its quirkiness. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have more Maroon 5 riff bait in the future:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09R8_2nJtjg

    ReplyDelete