Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Desire" - Years & Years

You know, I gotta admit: ever since taking this new angle on Watch-for-it Wednesday, I have discovered a lot more diversity in music. For example, here's a UK electronica group! Bet you didn't see that one coming!



This is Years & Years, a group that formed in 2010 and currently has their biggest smash hit in the UK with "Desire". Is it enough to cross over the ocean? Let's analyze.

So the song "Desire" is about desire. Sexual desire, to be specific. Sorry, U2. Now, it looks as though the singer wants his significant other to open up to him.

Open your arms and pray
To the truth that you're denying

Funny enough, it never actually confirms that the girl does want to open up to this guy. In fact, all the details suggest the opposite.

I want desire
Cause your love only gets me abused

The guy seems to be looking for desire, but is unable to find it. It's kind of sad, really. And I don't know if the song itself is aware of that.

I mean, upon first listen, you think it's just some raunchy sex dance song. ("Sex dance"? "Dance sex"?) But honestly, the lyrics are quite heartbreaking. It's a song about unrequited love, backed by these catchy dance beats that fool you into thinking otherwise. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it was probably a conscious stylistic choice. But it is one of those songs that sucks you in without you knowing what it's about at first.

If they wanted to make this into a sex jam, maybe it would have been wise to get a perspective from the other half, y'know, about what they're feeling and shit. Honestly, I haven't seen that done effectively since Gotye, and I'd like to see more of it. It might have strengthened this song for me. But I do still appreciate it for what it is. It could just be better, is all. But it could also be a whole lot worse, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Hot 100 Success:

Will they have it?

Years & Years haven't broken free from their home country yet. It hasn't been that long, however, so I would say they have at least a shot.

Should they have it?

Like I said, given that dance music can be a whole lot worse these days, I'll definitely take some more Years & Years on the radio. Yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment