Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Be Lazy" - Skizzy Mars

Today, we're looking at an artist trying to make it big by means of the Internet. And no, I don't mean they accidentally got picked up by Vine watchers because of how stupid their song is. I mean they're actually working hard to promote their tracks and get noticed. This is Skizzy Mars with his latest single, "Be Lazy".


Now this is a different sort of hip hop track than what the general public is used to. It just has that different feel, but still feels commercial enough to not be too alienating. Sort of like Childish Gambino's "3005". We all know about the tropes that rappers talk about nowadays - cars, women, money, chains. So it's always refreshing to hear a rapper talk about something not related to that. You know, actually tell a cohesive narrative. And it's surprisingly a narrative that a lot of people can relate to. Working hard, and yearning for a time to be lazy-


Yeah, that "work hard" element is key, or else you end up sounding like a douchebag. Which, coincidentally, is the title of another of Skizzy Mars' songs. Dude drew a lot of inspiration from "The Lazy Song", it seems. Good thing he built on those weak foundations.

No, but I'm really excited to hear more from this guy! In fact, I think that's what I'll do!

Okay, so final verdict on the guy: Awesome lyricist, could work on his tone.

I've listened to a few of his songs, and more often than not he sounds bored with what he's saying. Thankfully the lyrics aren't boring, so he doesn't tread into bad Drake territory. But I think he could use a little more enthusiasm with his stuff. In fact, I think "Be Lazy" is the best song I've heard from him, and I hope it's the one to propel him into the mainstream, if that happens at all. Ironically, Skizzy tries his best to add some enthusiasm to his voice on a song called "Be Lazy", but it really does pay off. His yearning to have a lazy day after a week of hard work comes through in his voice. It's quite a different rap song than what I'm used to hearing, and I hope to hear more!

Hot 100 Success:

Will he have it?

I don't know if the public is ready to accept Skizzy Mars into the pop world just yet. He could very well have success on the hip hop charts, where obviously they're more accepting of different twists of the genre. But I never really see many rap songs breaking new ground on the Hot 100 these days, so unfortunately I don't think it bodes well for Skizzy.

Should he have it?

Well, sure. I could use a little Skizzy Mars in between my Rich Gang and... Rae Sremmurd. Please be successful, Skizzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment