Sunday, January 11, 2015

"Only" - Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown

We've got ourselves some rap stars coming back!



Yeah, last year was sort of underwhelming for rap music. You had the odd great song pass through, but most of it was less cerebral than rap music usually is nowadays, and that's saying something. But if there was a star of rap last year, it was Nicki Minaj, who came back swinging with her hit "Anaconda". Whether you like the song or not, it was definitely the biggest hit in hip hop from 2014. And now she's got a new song that's in the Top 20, with Drake!... and Lil Wayne. And... Chris Brown.

I don't know if I'll like this.

*after listening to the song*

That was... pretty good.

I'm just impressed, I suppose, by the little things now in rap music, but for some reason, even though I usually dislike disjointed topics in rap music, or any music really, I got a kick out of this one. I think it's just how calm and calculated the beat seems, contrasted by Nicki, Drake, and Wayne's fierce spitting. There's aindividual parts that I like too, like this one:

Drake: We had just come from that video
You know LA traffic, how the city slow
She was sitting down on that big butt
But I was still staring at the titties though

Reference to "Anaconda". Nice.

And hell, even Chris Brown, an artist who I normally hate, has a pretty good chorus here. Despite the fact that he's still an asshole, at least his persona in the music video here accentuates it. It may be questionable, but it's better than pretending like Chris Brown is this innocent R&B crooner, and at least it's not douchey.

So... sorry guys, no snark here. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment