Tuesday, January 13, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday (Flashback): "Informer" - Snow (1993)

Oh boy. I hope that the Canadian charts start getting more homegrown hits soon, because I'm delving back into the history of Canadian pop music, and... I'm not liking what I'm seeing.



Informer
Yanoseebladeesoapydadooblam
A licky boom-boom down

What?

Informer
You know say Daddy Snow me, I'm gonna blame
A licky boom-boom down

...what?

Okay, so before Iggy Azalea was a thing, there was another white person trying to cash in on a black sound. His name was Snow, and with a name like that and a heritage like Canada, he's about as white as they come.

Well, okay, it's not fair to entirely discount his street cred based on his skin colour. He did grow up in the projects of North York, Toronto, and he does have a lot of Jamaican friends. It's just... he puts on this Jamaican reggae accent, and that's just not how he sounds in real life.

I mean, I'm sure he's picked up cues from the culture he grew up in, but the fact is he's still putting it on, and you can obviously tell. And beyond the racial implications of such a stunt, it also makes for bad music. Why do you have to put on an accent to rap? Eminem didn't have to do it. The Beastie Boys didn't have to do it. Just be yourself!

But that's not my only problem with the song. What the fuck is he saying?! Like, enunciate, man. I can't make out one word of this song other than "Informer", "a licky boom-boom down", and various others.

Mashoozoosooturra amma tazoodoshoa
Medipombeedumbeebon TORONTO

It's like he's playing an unsuccessful game of Mad Gab or something. I can't make it out.

But the worst part is... when I look up these lyrics, they're about as cerebral as when I couldn't make them out.

Lover who I'm gonna call is the one Tammy
I love her from my heart down to my belly

Your heart down to your belly? Do you... want to eat her?

I don't know, I can't go much further with this. I have no idea how this became a hit in the first place, and I'm glad that Snow didn't infect the popular culture with any more of his songs.



Yeeesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment