Sunday, January 25, 2015

"Sugar" - Maroon 5

Oh, good! Another Maroon 5 song! How'd you all know this is what I wanted? Thanks, music-listening public! Ughhh.

Look, I don't think I've made it a secret that I absolutely loathe Maroon 5 as of right now. Their music is so distant from anything resembling passion, emotion, or integrity that you may as well just slap a package on it and ship it out as processed cheese.

But they continue to exist, so therefore I have to continue torturing myself by reviewing them. *sigh* Here is their latest single, "Sugar".



No, no. We already did that one. But is it sad that I'd look forward more to a Flo Rida song? Alas, here's the real song:



Wow, hold on a second. What's this? I can actually understand the mood that they're trying to pull off? Maroon 5 are trying again? It's a Christmas miracle! A month late, but hey, I'll take it!

Maroon 5 haven't sounded this good since "Moves Like Jagger", a song which, for better or for worse is a massive guilty pleasure of mine. Sure, the lyrics are corny beyond belief, but at least it was fun, not like the disposable dirge they've been releasing after that. This is fun again. And more importantly, it sounds good.

I mean, Adam Levine's vocals just come with the package, so you can take 'em or leave 'em. Me personally, I can tolerate his squawking as long as the band seems to know what they're doing. Hey, that's another thing: Maroon 5's actually starting to sound like a band again!

Let's go back to "Payphone". Do any of those instruments sound like they came from anywhere other than GarageBand? No. Listen to that drum, you can't get more obviously computerized than that. Here, it may still be computerized for all I know, but at least it sounds like they're making an effort!

As for the lyrics, well, you know. Adam Levine likes love and sex, Shocked? But here it actually sounds like he's enjoying himself. Listen to this shit for a second.



What is going on in this song? Is he supposed to be angry, or passionate, or loving, or what? You can't pinpoint the emotion in this song at all. In "Sugar", you can understand Adam Levine's need for love because you can hear how happy he sounds when he gets it.

Sugar, yes please
Won't you come and put it down on me?

They're not brilliant, but they get the job done. And I don't want to uptalk this song too much, either. It's not spectacular or anything. Maroon 5 were honestly never really a spectacular band. But I say if you're going to sell out, do it like this so I'll actually buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment