Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Don't Wait" - Mapei

All right, welcome back to Watch-for-it Wednesday! Christmas is over and done for 2014, and now we look at the possible rising stars once again for 2015! Let's start off this year with a Swedish-American artist known by the name of Mapei.



Jacqueline Mapei Cummings was born in America in December of 1983. Her music career began in 2009 when she released her debut EP as a rapper, called The Cocoa Butter Diaries. She then decided to try singing to better influence her creative side. Enter "Don't Wait" come 2013, which reached #27 on the US Club chart and did formidably in a few European countries. But the reason I bring up this song now is because... well, it's because my Heatseekers chart is gone.

Yeah, it was stuck on the week of November 29 throughout December and then just disappeared. The Albums chart is still there, but the Songs chart? Gone. My only solace in finding something to talk about is to consult a live Twitter chart. Are you ready to dive into the social media aspect of pop music? Well, here we go.

The Twitter chart is done in real time, and I tell ya I can't find this song anywhere on the chart now. Real time is so fickle! But hey, there's no reason why I can't cover this song if it was popular at one brief moment at time on Twitter, right? Right? ...bear with me, okay?

So, "Don't Wait"! How's the song? Well, it's... nice enough. Not the most exciting thing I've ever heard, but I don't think it's really supposed to be. It's just supposed to be a sweet song to evoke a sweet mood. It accomplishes this feat just fine, in my opinion. I don't know if it's really worth blowing up on the Billboard charts, but it has its place.

Don't wait til I do wrong

And from the sounds of this song, she hasn't yet.

Hot 100 Success:

Will she have it?

This will prove to be the hardest thing ever to judge now, given that the charts are so fickle. Unfortunately, I don't think this is exciting enough to garner much success. Then again, we did let Sam Smith in...

Should she have it?

She's talented enough for success, but maybe not exciting enough. I'll toss in my two cents and say a cautious yes. I mean, we did let Sam Smith in... anything's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment