Tuesday, January 20, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday (Flashback): "The Story of My Love" - Paul Anka (1961)

Okay, I'm not happy. It's protesting time. Until Canadians today actually start getting regional hits again, I'm going to sit here on Tuesdays and review every goddamn Paul Anka song in the book!



It won't be easy. It won't be worth it. But it will.... oh, who am I kidding, let's get this over with.

So, Paul Anka! Certainly a big star back in the 50's and 60's! So big that my very first flashback on CanTunes Tuesday was dedicated to the man! And he's so irritating that I never want to hear another song from him again.

Okay, the ideas for a good song are here, at least. It's a cute little melody, with the guitar there, and the horns there. But like all Paul Anka songs, the problems accumulate with Anka himself.

OHohOH that's the story of my HIIIII loooove

He just bleats every note like a strangled duck. It gets unlistenable at points.

But this is what I have to do, for the Billboard charts do not satisfy me. Come on, Billboard! Do your job right! Represent Canada in all its glory!

I mean, don't use Justin Bieber or Nickelback. Glory is the key word here.

No comments:

Post a Comment