Tuesday, January 6, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "Sorries" - Andee

Andee's back in 2015. Do I care? Let's find out.



This is her new single, "Sorries". I don't think she needs to apologize to me for creating such an unremarkable song back in August, but sure, if she wants to apologize, I guess I'll take it.

Let's get the sorries out of the way
...ay-ay-ay-ay

...Okay, I guess I have some apologizing to do too. Andee, I'm sorry that I said you were below Sarah McLachlan and Alanis Morissette in terms of memorability in Canadian female adult contemporary. Wow, that was one of the most specific apologies I've ever made. What were we talking about again?

Oh, yeah. This song. It's lame. Sorry.

I think Andee's just coasting at this point, but it's less coasting and moreso drowning. Drowning in a sea of my indifference and her mediocrity. And before I have to apologize again, let's add some base to this claim. What's this song about?

Well, it's certainly not about me. I doubt Andee even knows I exist. What it appears to be about is regret. And to be fair, the lyrics aren't too bad.

I talk before I think
I say some crazy things
I have foot in mouth disease
And there may never be a cure for me

But the tone of the lyrics is just undercut by the weaksauce tone of the song. So many stylistic choices here just make this song a lame duck, especially during the chorus. That "ay-y-ay-ay" after the word "way" destroys about 75% of the song right there.

And that's what bugs me. If a little more effort had been put into the production, then this would have been worthwhile. But the problem is that there wasn't, and the song falls flat as a result. Sorry, Andee. Still not impressed. There, I got the sorries out of the way. Now I can be as mean and malicious as I like this year! Mwahahahahaaaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment