Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John - ALBUM REVIEW

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.jpg

One day this blog is just going to turn into "classic albums I think are overrated", and fights will ensue, the Internet will shut down, and society will end as we know it. That said, Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road? Tad overrated.

Don't get me wrong; there are still some fantastic tracks on this album, some of his best. That opening eleven minutes of "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" is the perfect way to kick things off. But on the other end of the spectrum, you get songs like "Jamaica Jerk-Off", "Dirty Little Girl", and "Roy Rogers", all of which range from underwhelming to downright insulting. It doesn't help that the double LP runs long, which leads me to question whether some of these turds could have been cut.

And sadly, beyond the highlights and lowlights, it speaks to me as a good, but not great, album. I've actually never been a huge Elton John fan, but I figured the album critics widely tout as his best would leave him with a higher score. But really, there are only a few songs here that I consider genuine masterpieces, and most of the rest falls by the wayside. It feels wrong somehow, but I really can't rate this any higher.

7/10

Best Tracks: "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding", "Bennie and the Jets", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting"

No comments:

Post a Comment