Sunday, October 6, 2013

An Introduction

Hello, and welcome to my blog! My name's Eric. You can call me Eric. Seems about fair, doesn't it?

Ever since I was a little kid, I've always loved music. Not necessarily playing music, but just listening to music. Picking out songs I did and did not like. Getting excited when those songs I did like came on the radio.

That interest in music soon evolved into an interest in popular music trends. What's hot? What's not? Why? Is it any good? And so forth.

Now as I've said, I'm not a musician. I probably couldn't tell you much about the technical aspects of music. But I do know what I like and don't like, and my interest in listening to popular music and picking out some of each and the reasons why will be the basis of this blog. On Tuesdays, I will take a current song blowing up on the Billboard charts. And on Fridays, which I like to call "Flashback Fridays", I will look at a Billboard song from yesteryear, because there were many years of good and bad music that I simply must cover. You might get a song from 2010, you might get one from 1958. It's truly a mixed bag.

Before I start with my critiques of pop music, I'd like to shout out to a couple inspirations which got me into music and shaped me into the person I am today:


105.3 KOOL FM. I grew up listening to this radio station as a kid, and the concept of playing music for all the world (or rather, a tri-city area) to hear endlessly fascinated me. This station played (and still does play) everything from hard rock of yesterday to current pop hits. This was my main source of music as a kid, and while I've moved on to other radio stations that suffice my needs, I still hold a place in my heart for this station.


104.5 CHUM FM. Last radio station, I swear. This one introduced me to the concept of music charts and ranking songs based on popularity. They had this segment that they actually aired on TV called the Chum Chart, where they would count down the most popular songs on their station at the moment. This also introduced me to music videos, which they would play on the segment.


ADoseOfBuckley. This YouTube comedian touches on many different topics, but one he keeps coming back to is popular music, and why he thinks it sucks. This guy is the first music critic that really caught my attention, what with the digital age influencing us all. He's actually the guy that inspired me to start critiquing popular music myself. He has some controversial opinions, but check out this angry, angry man. He's strangely compelling.


ToddInTheShadows and the rest of TGWTG.com. Of course I'm going to single out the music guy, but it's just not fair to neglect the rest of this wonderful website, full of wonderful critics. While ADoseOfBuckley's opinions are rooted in anger and don't really go too in-depth with the actual music, Todd really dissects a song to see what he likes and doesn't like about it. I think you'll see a lot of him in me, because my style on this blog is heavily influenced by him. Check out thatguywiththeglasses.com, preferably on a day when you don't have much to do, and it wouldn't matter if you wasted the whole day on that site.


All right, enough babbling. Come back Tuesday when I kick off my blog with not one, but two pop princesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment