Tuesday, October 29, 2013

"Hold On, We're Going Home" - Drake ft. Majid Jordan

Draaaaake.


Yes, Drake has been a musical pain in my ass for a couple years or so now. Why? He’s boring. I mean, listen to this slog of a song.


Does he sound like he cares about, or even believes anything he’s saying? No. Instead of sounding “overdosed on confidence”, he sounds bored. “God-do-I-have-to-do-this-just-give-me-my-paycheck” level bored. That goes for “Started From the Bottom” too.

Started from the bottom now we're here
Started from the bottom now my whole team fucking here
Started from the bottom now we're here
Started from the bottom now the whole team here, nigga

Like, whoa. Don’t overexert yourself with your song celebrating how far you’ve come.

Let’s see, what else, what else? “The Motto”, YOLO, who cares. Was there anything that I liked?


Yeah, there was that, but that was mostly because of Eminem, who completely blows everyone away both in his lyrics and his flow. What about something I liked that Drake specifically did?


Oh yeah, I did like that song. I wonder why? Oh, that’s right. It’s something called “emotion”. Drake’s singing at least kind of sounds like he gives a damn about his lyrics. And with that, we make it to the current song.


“Hold On, We’re Going Home” brings it back to a more “Find Your Love” Drake. Less rapping, more singing. So how does “Hold On” hold up? Let’s see. (Unfathomably long intro notwithstanding.)

I got my eyes on you
You're everything that I see
I want your heart, love and emotion endlessly,
I can't get over you
You left your mark on me
I want your high, love and emotion endlessly

See, now this is the Drake I enjoy listening to. Sweet and soulful. It’s strange, actually. While a musical artist’s ballads are sometimes the most detached from any emotion, Drake actually taps into more emotion in his love songs. The song’s still not particularly exciting, lyrically or musically, but given the subject matter, it really doesn’t have to be. “Just hold on, we’re going home.” I feel like the perfect mood was captured here, so kudos to both Drake and Majid Jordan.

Yeah, this is a much shorter post than normal, and I apologize for that. Trashing songs give me a lot more material than praising them. Unfortunately, that’s just how the world works and there’s nothing we can do about it. Anyway, go Drake. More this, less…



...that.

Agree? Disagree? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment