Tuesday, November 26, 2013

"Counting Stars" - OneRepublic

Let's talk about Timbaland for a second.



Timbaland has been one of the biggest influences on pop music of the 2000s, by which I mean he has produced countless platinum and multi-platinum albums of the 2000s. One such album was OneRepublic's Dreaming Out Loud.



Timbaland made a remix of their OneRepublic's single, "Apologize", apparently so much so that it's billed as "Timbaland ft. OneRepublic". What I'm trying to say is that OneRepublic have Timbaland to think for their success, because my God, were they generic.

That's all changed now with their most recent album, "Native", and most specifically their newest song, "Counting Stars". I'm so happy to see this in the Top 10.




"Counting Stars" made an uninteresting band interesting. It was different. It was a great change from what I've been seeing on the charts. Of course, these impressions were only made by the sound of the song. How do the lyrics stack up? Let's see.

Lately I been, I been losing sleep
Dreaming about the things that we could be
But baby, I been, I been prayin' hard
Said no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars
Yeah, we'll be counting stars

All right, so the song starts off with dreams of fame and fortune. Not having to worry about money, just relaxing.


Old, but I'm not that old

Young, but I'm not that bold
And I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told

...?

Did any of that make sense? Any of it at all?

I-I-I-IIIIIII feel something so right
By doing the wrong thing
And I-I-I-IIIIIII feel something so wrong
By doing the right thing

Okay, so now we have rebellion in the mix...

I could lie, could lie, could lie
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive

....?

No seriously, I'm having huge problems with understanding this. These random lyrics seem so disconnected. Nothing seems to flow.

I feel the love
And I feel it burn
Down this river every turn
Hope is a four letter word

"Hope is a four letter word"? Um... so is love. Maybe that would have flowed better?

God, this song is just falling apart before my eyes. How much worse can it get?

Take that money
Watch it burn
Sink in the river
The lessons I learned

I can't... what is... why... stop!

Wow, that was actually kind of stupid. It's so vague and meaningless that I can't extract any feeling from it anymore. The only things saving this song from complete damnation are the chorus, and the fact that it's damn catchy. But unfortunately, after the chorus it ceases to make any sense and devolves into gibbering madness. And not even interesting gibbering madness, just cliché-filled madness. Sorry, OneRepublic. I tried to root for you. But I guess this apology means nothing to you after trashing your song, because

it's too late to 'pologize.

I know, I know.

Agree? Disagree? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment