Friday, November 22, 2013

Flashback Friday: "The Loco-Motion" - Kylie Minogue (1988)

You know, sometimes songs just aren't meant to be remade.



Everybody's doing a brand new dance now

Yeah sure, let's start there. This remake goes off the assumption that the loco-motion is a brand-new dance. This remake was released in 1988. Anyone else see the problem here?

Look, I can only suspend my disbelief so much. And this is where I draw the line. It'd be like if Eminem was still referencing the Spice Girls. You have to move with the times, and the very idea of remaking this song fails that concept.

Not that I hate the song. As a cheesy dance song, it does its thing, and I will admit that at least the cheesiness translates well into the 80's. But I can't get past the time difference between the actual dance craze and this remake.

Okay for those who don't know, "The Loco-Motion"'s first incarnation was by Little Eva in 1962.



You know, back when it actually was "a brand new dance".

Then after that the only other version that ever really got big was Grank Funk Railroad's version.



Personally, this is the version that I was most familiar with as a kid. Now that I've grown up, it has for me the same problem as Minogue's version. I have to say that out of the three, Little Eva's sounds the best to me. Minogue's sounds too over-saturated, much like other 80's hit songs, and Grank Funk Railroad's version has a really out-of-place guitar solo (although I will admit the "railroad train" thing does translate well into Grand Funk Railroad).

It's not that I hate cover songs. In fact, I think there's a few that are actually better than the original. But when it comes to cover songs, you have to pick 'em right. And I don't think "The Loco-Motion" was a good choice to cover.

Agree? Disagree? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment