Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"All of Me" - John Legend

Apparently, a way to really make it on the Billboard charts is to horribly butcher a Beatles song during their 50th anniversary.


Okay, to be fair, performance-wise, this isn't either artist's fault. And I'm in the minority here; a lot of people loved this performance. But my opinion of covering "Let it Be" is "don't". This is a song very personal to Paul McCartney; "Mother Mary" is his mother, not Jesus's. So no, guys. Mother Mary is not calling to you. Choose any Beatles song to cover but this one. Thanks.

ANYWAY, it's this performance that I can only assume sparked any interest in John Legend. In fact, enough to get his newest single, "All of Me", to the Top 10.


Honestly, I think John Legend's been unfairly snubbed from the charts, really having only one other Hot 100 hit (most likely riding the coattails of André 3000). Yeah, he's kind of boring, but if this piece of nothing can make it into the top 10, John Legend should be able to crack it. And as far as piano ballads go, he can pull them off with a great voice.

Looking at this song, it's okay. Just another love ballad with somewhat clichéd lyrics.

What would I do without your smart mouth?

Drawing me in, and you kicking me out

...or not.

Look, I just assumed because this is the chorus:

'Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges

All your perfect imperfections

By the way One Direction, that's how you should have done "Little Things". Or maybe you should have just not done it at all. Either would have worked.

Anyway, it looks like this song isn't quite as sappy as I originally thought. In fact, it's quite poignant, detailing the struggles of love as well as the triumphs. It's a really sweet song.

Risking it all, though it's hard

This song is real. It's not manufactured garbage, and it's not manipulative bullshit. No, love's not perfect. But if you find that someone you can go through thick and thin with, then it's all worth it. I think that's the message of this song, because it's not all happy. But overall, it has an uplifting tone. I might dismiss this as boring if it was just another meaningless love song. But this love song has meaning. And if a misguided Beatles cover is what it takes for this song to become popular, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment