Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"The Man" - Aloe Blacc

You know, if there's one thing I can begrudgingly praise about "Wake Me Up!", it's that in between the bad lyrics and the mismatched production, Avicii snagged a pretty good vocalist in Aloe Blacc. And it's nice to see him with a hit song of his own! Stepping out of Avicii's shadow, making a name for himself, establishing a personality...


Zzzzzzz...

Okay, maybe Blacc isn't really establishing a personality, other than blandness. I mean, there's nothing quite wrong with this song other than it's bland. Blacc might be able to pull off a "look how far I've come and how awesome I am for coming this far" anthem later in his success, or maybe with more conviction. But not now, and not with this little conviction. Even the lyrics aren't that great:

I believe every lie that I ever told
Paid for every heart that I ever stole

So... you didn't steal them, then.

God made my mold different from the rest
Then he broke that mold so I know I'm blessed

Either your mold was different or he broke the mold with you. Not both!

Wait a minute, who exactly wrote "Wake Me Up!"?


Okay, now the pieces are starting to come together.

Sorry Aloe Blacc, but I don't think your music and my taste were ever meant to be. You do have a good voice, but the lyrical strength isn't there. Maybe it's just because I'm not the man. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment