Friday, December 6, 2013

Flashback Friday: "I Think We're Alone Now" - Tiffany (1987)

Today, we look at a song that gains immediate familiarity with teenagers who have parents that just don't understand love. Because you know, four years of not-quite-fully-pubescent experience beats out adulthood any day in that category. Regardless, here's Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now".




This song helped make Tiffany one of the biggest stars of the late 1980s. It hit #1 on the Billboard charts and she followed that up with two more hits. So let's look at Tiffany's first hit, and see how much relevance it really has in pop culture, and how it holds up today.

"I Think We're Alone Now", as I said before, is  a song about two teenagers hopelessly in lust love, much to their parents' disapproval. They have to run away into the beautiful darkness to experience their lust love without judgmental adults.

Running just as fast as we can

Holdin' on to one another's hand

Each other. It's each other. Sorry, but grammar is important in teenage love songs... right?

(I suppose if it was a polygamous relationship it would be correct...)

And then you put your arms around me

And we tumble to the ground

Haha, klutzes.

Seriously though, I can't find too much wrong about this song. It's certainly better than what we've been getting from teenage stars this decade (ahem). There's nothing too deep or interesting here, but I can't complain. Did it deserve to be a #1 hit? Well, if whoever the hell this is could do it that year, I don't see why Tiffany wouldn't deserve it. Overall, "I Think We're Alone Now" is nothing more than a harmless song to serve as an anthem to 1987 teens. Yay for knowing your target audience.

Agree? Disagree? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment