Tuesday, December 24, 2013

"Say Something" - A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera

Happy Christmas Eve! Normally you would expect me to be reviewing a Christmas song, right? Well, I'm sticking to Billboard-charting hits, so let's celebrate Christmas with A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera!


Christballs, this is boring.

I can't even think of anything to say about this one, it's just so... nothing. It's bland and generic, yet trying to be emotionally manipulative, but failing. I'm sorry, what's this video supposed to be? The Titanic sinking? (Which, by the way, was far more successful at being emotionally manipulative.)

No, the only thing sinking is my interest in Christina Aguilera. What have they got her doing here? Singing at just about the safest vocal range they could get for her. That's it. This song is very safe. There's no risks taken musically or lyrically. There's a piano that I'm pretty sure a monkey could play eventually after hitting the keys randomly, and then there's just these boring, milquetoast vocals.

The lyrics, should you care about them, seem to detail (only in the loosest sense of the word, since they're so vague) a failed relationship, with lingering feelings. But the narrator wants the other to say something, anything, to convince him/her not to leave. Hey, uh, Tracy Chapman, wanna show them how it's done?


Ironically, the most repeated lyric here is "Say something, I'm giving up on you", which are exactly my sentiments with this song. SAY SOMETHING! ANYTHING!

Well, looks like I'm in a grouchy mood this Christmas, no thanks to this song. Hopefully the new year will exterminate this kind of music, but as long as there's an audience for it, I don't see that happening. Humbug.

No comments:

Post a Comment