Friday, December 27, 2013

Flashback Friday: "Meet Me Halfway" - The Black Eyed Peas (2009)

Let's talk about one of the most inconsistent bands of all time.



Remember this? This song was terrible.



Remember this? This song was awesome.

How could these two songs be so different in quality, and come out in the same year? Well, let's take a look at what made "Meet Me Halfway" work.

First off, Fergie's actually singing, not rapping. I don't think I need to tell you that Fergie's at her worst when she's rapping. Much like other white girls, actually. But no, she's singing here, and it sounds tremendous.

Can you meet me halfway, right at the borderline?
That's where I'm gonna wait for you
I'll be lookin' out night and day
Took my heart to the limit, and this is where I stay

I would actually argue that this is the best Black Eyed Peas song ever... if "Where Is The Love?" didn't exist, but we're getting off track. But it is a very well put together song, and I think a lot of it has to do with that chorus. I mean, uh, here's what comes directly before the first one.

I spend my time just thinkin', thinkin', thinkin' 'bout you
Every single day, yes I'm really missin', missin' you
And all those things we used to, used to, used to do
Hey girl, what's up? Yo? What's up? What's up? What's up?

Oh, will.i.am. Why do you try so little?

Honestly, looking back at this song, the chorus may have been the only thing that made it good. But damn, does it work. I forget about will.i.am's lack of effort during this song because Fergie just delivers. So maybe The Black Eyed Peas weren't as inconsistent as I thought. Maybe Fergie just needed to break out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment