Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"Demons" - Imagine Dragons

Somewhere along the line in 2012, I think that the face of popular music changed for the better.




Hey, far be it for me to thank Glee for anything, but their cover of this song did help it to become famous. But the thing is, this wasn't a fluke. This was a trend. Even fun. (wow, what an annoyingly quirky band name) had another hit that year.

So today, we look at another band that was taken along by the new bandwagon into stardom, their fame continuing to this day: Imagine Dragons.



Imagine Dragons had their first hit, "It's Time" in mid-to-late 2012. Then "Radioactive" came out and solidly put them into the mainstream, spending 64 weeks in the Billboard Hot 100 to date. Now it's time (ha-ha) to review their third big hit, "Demons".



Contrasting their first two hits, I think that "Demons" is a softer track. It starts off with little to no instrumentation other than the lead singer's voice, whereas "It's Time" and "Radioactive" set the tone with powerful instrumentation. And while the lyrics and vocals in the first two hits seem to be empowering and confident, "Demons" comes off as more regretful.

When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It’s where my demons hide
It’s where my demons hide
Don’t get too close
It’s dark inside
It’s where my demons hide
It’s where my demons hide

Kind of a stark contrast to "I'm never changing who I am".

But this is good, because it shows a different side to the band. Not that there's anything wrong with confidence, but when you go on and on about how great you are, it can get a liiitle tiresome. Ahem.

So I really do like this song, and Imagine Dragons in general. Sure, they can get over-the-top, but it's better than just being flat boring. Too much is better than not enough. And whether Imagine Dragons are confident or regretful, they'll always be there to give more than enough emotion in their songs.

Agree? Disagree? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment