Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"Burn" - Ellie Goulding

In 2012, Ellie Goulding broke into the mainstream American pop chart with a song called "Lights".


I loved this song. I loved everything about this song. It was interesting, it was well put together, and Ellie Goulding's voice was heavenly.

Then she started to lose me. I found "Anything Could Happen" annoying and "I Need Your Love" boring. It broke my heart, honestly. Was I wrong in seeing something in this girl? Then her third single "Burn" came out.


And that is currently Goulding's most popular song, sitting pretty in the Top 20. So, what's the verdict? Is Ellie Goulding finally back?

We, we don't have to worry 'bout nothing
'Cause we got the fire, and we're burning one hell of a something

Well, I hate to say that the lyrics leave a lot to be desired. I mean, here's the thesis. There's a fire, and it's burning, and we're gonna let it burn. That's almost the entire chorus.

'Cause we got the fire, fire, fire
Yeah we got the fire, fire, fire
And we gonna let it burn, burn, burn, burn
We gonna let it burn, burn, burn, burn
Gonna let it burn, burn, burn, burn
We gonna let it burn, burn, burn, burn

Ugh, boring. But the song's not all bad. I do think that Ellie Goulding's vocals do it justice, as does the production. I just wish there was more interesting subject matter. Fire is such an overused metaphor, and this song doesn't even expand on it that much. Fire is energy. Don't stop the energy, even if others don't understand. Yay?

It's just kind of flimsy, that's all. While it's Goulding's best song since "Lights", it's still not up to par with her first Hot 100 single.

No comments:

Post a Comment