Tuesday, January 7, 2014

"Let Her Go" - Passenger

Welcome to 2014, everybody! Let's kick off the year with excitement, enjoyment, enthusiasm! Let's kick it off with "Let Her Go" by Passenger!


Oh God, this is boring.

I'm sorry: what's with the barrage of boring songs lately? Are these songs somehow resonating with people? Because all they're doing with me is putting me to sleep.

Not that the song's a total loss. Some of the lyrics are nice, particularly in the chorus:

But you only need the light when it's burning low
Only miss the sun when it starts to snow

Only know you love her when you let her go

I don't really hate this song. It's boring, but it's not dreadfully boring like "Say Something". It's just kind of there. And besides, there is one thing that makes the song stand out: the lilting quality of this guy's voice.

Okay, no, it doesn't even have that. This guy sounds like a cartoon character.

How am I supposed to take any of this seriously when Whitey from Eight Crazy Nights is narrating it? That's a technical foul. (By the way, I did see this movie and it was pretty freakin' awful but also a massive guilty pleasure.) No, no. Now that I think about it, this song is getting worse by the second. This is like the male version of "Wrecking Ball", but somehow even less attached to any emotion.

Oh... God. I don't even know what else to say. I wanted to start off 2014 with a bang, I really did. But if this is where we're headed with popular music... well, be prepared for a snoozefest.

No comments:

Post a Comment