Tuesday, January 28, 2014

"Team" - Lorde

Well, someone broke free of one-hit-wonder status.


With her second top ten hit, it looks like Lorde isn't going away. Good or bad thing? Well, I was kind of ambivalent-to-negative about "Royals", but as the year went by the song grew on me. I'd now say I'm ambivalent-to-positive about it. But this song? Well, how can I put it? It's just...

Awesome!

I finally get the hype around Lorde. In a world full of blandness and stupidity in pop music, "Team" is a breath of fresh air, with an interesting, beautiful production. Far more interesting than "Royals", might I add.

It really is a fantastic song from beginning to end. It starts out with these dark-sounding vocals, and then as the drum beat kicks in, the full potential of Lorde's vocals are heard. This girl can sing, kids. And I mean "girl" quite literally. She's 17 what the hell.

Yeah, I'm totally impressed by this. If I had to nitpick just one thing, the line here

I'm kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air, so there

is a little too reminiscent of her complaining about popular music in "Royals", but even this works for me more so than the jabs in "Royals", because hell, I'm a little sick of being told to throw my hands up in the air. Awaiting the single where Lorde denounces the word "shawty".

I'm so glad to finally have a great song to review in 2014. Here's to a year of greatness, courtesy of Lorde and other talented artists to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment