Friday, January 3, 2014

Top 10 Songs of 2013

You know, I like current music too.


I mean, let's be honest here: this wouldn't be any fun if I didn't. I would never get my hopes up. I'd just be a jaded, cynical bastard with a pointless blog. Well, it might be too late for that, but just to show I'm not always a cynic, here's my Top 10 Songs of 2013.

10. "I Will Wait" - Mumford & Sons


AND I WILL WAIT, I WILL WAIT FOR YOU

(mutha fuckin banjo solo)

Well, dust my trousers and pump my boots, it's time for a good old-fashioned hoedown. And who better to do it in this day than Mumford & Sons? This band personifies energy. It's so much fun to listen to them. I'd talk about them more, but I have to sing along.


RAIIIIISE MYYYYYY HAAAAANDS

9. "Locked Out of Heaven" - Bruno Mars


Speaking of personifying energy...

AW YEAH YEAH, AW YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH... UNH


Yeah, I'm sorry. I might be singing along to these songs more than reviewing them, but I'll try my best to keep my composure. But god damn, this song rocks. I definitely hear The Police's influence in here, but Bruno Mars takes the throbbing guitar of "Roxanne" and turns it on its head with a song about sheer desperation and passion for sex. That is awesome. Roxanne, put on the green light and go, go listen to this and pump yourself up for the rest of the day.

8. "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake


No matter what I think of "Holy Grail", this was an excellent year for JT, based on three words: Twenty. Twenty. Experience. Welcome back, Justin Timberlake.

Two songs were released from this album that made the Year-End Chart. Focusing on this song, it's beautiful.

'Cause I don't wanna lose you now
I'm lookin' right at the other half of me


This is just my opinion, but it does not get much sweeter than that. And it maintains this sweetness all the way through, without being too syrupy. "Mirrors" is a perfect example of why we needed Justin Timberlake back, but there's an even more perfect example to come...

7. "Applause" - Lady Gaga


Whilst Katy Perry tried to roar but came back with a whimper, Lady Gaga came back for the applause, and damn, did she deserve it with this song. What a burst of energy. The song never dies, and while that can be overbearing, Lady Gaga does it with such charm and sass that you can't help but applaud, Especially since she's commanding you to applaud. You'd better put those hands up and make them touch.

6. "Can't Hold Us" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Ray Dalton


If "Thrift Shop" was Macklemore's goofy novelty song to grab the attention of the public, then "Can't Hold Us" was the song to solidify him as an artist with serious talent and staying power. This is a fantastic rap song, with an exciting flow, great lyrics, killer beat, and Ray Dalton's melodic, charming voice to handle the chorus. This is the type of rap song that every rapper should aspire to. Macklemore has so much talent and intelligence that it's not even fair.

5. "Suit & Tie" - Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z


Did I mention that I'm totally thrilled that Justin Timberlake came back this year? Why do I love this and have disdain for "Holy Grail"? Let me show you a few things:


Justin and Jay-Z are magic together when they're unbelievably cocky together, not whiny. Yeah, Justin and Jay-Z singing about how great their lives are because they're awesome? Now that's something that I believe. And they pull this off with the utmost of class. The dreamlike production, the horns, the vocals, the rap verse. It all flows together so flawlessly. Justin and Jay-Z are equally good on this for the same reason: they're awesome and they know it. And everyone else better know it too.

4. "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)" - Fall Out Boy


Wow, you couldn't fit that title on the side of a truck. But who cares? Justin Timberlake's not the only one I was thrilled to see coming back. And Fall Out Boy came back swinging. This is my favourite Fall Out Boy song. It's got so much energy and power, and it just gets up in your face and demands you to listen. That's something that wasn't there with any other Fall Out Boy song, and I respect it. The constant barrage of fire throughout the song just gets me going. Oh hell, I can't help myself.


I'M ON FYAAAAAAHHHHH

3. "Get Lucky" - Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams


Now this is the disco throwback featuring Pharrell that should have been the song of the summer. Unfortunately, like many songs that summer, it was chartblocked by Barfed Lines and only made it to the #2 spot. So I'm calling it the #3 song of 2013 to restore justice. I mean, do I even need to say anything? This is so catchy that I could be up all night just to listen to this song. It's not like it's a deep song. It's a song about sex and partying. But goddamn, is this a classy-sounding party, even if the repeated lyric is "we're up all night to get lucky". Hell, you guys go ahead and get laid. You deserve it.

2. "Heart Attack" - Demi Lovato


Around June of last year, I went through a Demi Lovato phase. But as this list shows, it wasn't for nothing. I. Love. This. Girl. Not only is she an inspiration to girls around the world with her heartbreaking story, but she makes the best music from an ex-Disney star I have ever heard in my life. They struck gold when they discovered her. And nowhere is it more prevalent than in "Heart Attack". Demi is giving it all she's got, and it shows big time. Fuck, this song is so good. I'm just happy I got to listen to it again to compare and contrast with 99 other songs. But even Demi can't beat out the #1 song of 2013, which is...

1. "Same Love" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Mary Lambert


God bless Macklemore. Of all the popular artists of 2013, he was the one that took the most risks. But more importantly, he took the most risks that paid off. I honestly could not bear to have another song top my list of 2013. There's no way that any song was riskier, more poignant, more meaningful, and more likely to bring about change than this one. Mary Lambert's vocals in the chorus are the icing on the already delicious cake.

Some people don't like this song because it has cheesy lyrics.

America the brave still fears what we don't know
And God loves all his children, is somehow forgotten
But we paraphrase a book written thirty-five-hundred years ago
I don't know

If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed
That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned

When kids are walking 'round the hallway plagued by pain in their heart
A world so hateful some would rather die than be who they are

Yeah. So cheesy. So distant from emotion.


I will defend this song until the day I die. It has so rightfully claimed the best song of 2013, and maybe of the decade so far. Thanks for reading! I'll be back next week as we crack into the hits of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment