Friday, January 10, 2014

Flashback Friday: "Hot Boyz" - Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott ft. Nas, Eve, & Q-Tip (2000)

Today, we dive into a musical breed that is few and far between: the female rapper.


Nope, nope, nope.

Instead, let's take it back to early 2000, when Missy Elliott had one of her biggest hits with "Hot Boyz".



Now, I think it's great that females are represented in this genre, though considerably less than males. Rap music in general has been widely criticized for its misogynist lyrics. So when you bring a female into the mix, the formula gets turned on its head. I mean, the title of the song is "Hot Boyz". It's not that hard to figure out what this is about.

A hot boy, a rock boy, on top boy

And I like those

Yeah. But the curious thing about the remix of this song, which is the one that gained popularity on Billboard, is that it also has male rappers. And I think that's great, because it provides a balance. I definitely think it would be better if more male rappers featured female ones. It would provide a good, two-side-of-the-story narrative in a lot of rap songs. Not to say that one-side narratives don't work, but I'd like to see more of the former.

Anyway, this song is pretty good. Not excellent. I'm not really blown away by anything, but it's certainly better than a lot of rap these days. Word up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment