Thursday, March 26, 2020

Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division - ALBUM REVIEW

Unknown Pleasures Joy Division LP sleeve.jpg

Ah, Joy Division. One of those bands I think I have more respect for than outright like. I respect what they did for gothic rock in the 80s, but as far as the music on this album goes... it's good.

This is purely personal preference, as really all of my reviews boil down to. If you can find a reason to like Justin Bieber's Changes, more power to you. And I wouldn't say that there's a bad song on this album, or even any that are mediocre. It's a solid album. I just can't help but expect more sonically when it comes to these groundbreaking groups. There's something that feels oddly flat about this album to me, that i'm sure fans of this band would deride me for saying. But I think about bands like The Cure and how they were able to create much more interesting music with what they did. Or at least it was more fun, I had more of an experience listening to it. This, while technically great, doesn't exactly have that "wow" factor for me to come back to it time and time again. Still good, though.

7/10

Best Tracks: "Disorder", "Insight", "Shadowplay", "Interzone"

No comments:

Post a Comment