Tuesday, August 4, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "2 Heads" - Coleman Hell

On this day of the week, we look at Canadian artists who do things better. Case in point, here's someone doing "Wake Me Up" better than Avicii.


Man, if "Wake Me Up" was my only reference, you wouldn't be able to convince me that electronic music and folk go well together? But here? Like peaches and cream.

I'm actually really surprised I like this song, because as far as I'm concerned, it starts out like a Calvin Harris song.


Yeah... that guy. Ugh.

But once Coleman Hell starts singing, you know that he's got exponentially more talent than Calvin Harris. and then the banjos kick in and it just sounds amazing. I don't think I've ever seen folktronica done this well.

What really works about this song is that the two genres don't feel separate; they feel like they belong together, and they meld together well. you could easily make an electronica song and just slap some banjos over it and call it a day, but here, it's meticulously organized in order to actually sound good. A novel idea, really. Music that sounds good. What won't they think of next?!

I really hope this guy gains the popularity he deserves. I love seeing artists get recognition for good music.

No comments:

Post a Comment