Tuesday, August 11, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "Bring Down the House" - Dean Brody

Country music appears to not be as popular as it once was, but when country songs do get, big, I'm still obliged to acknowledge them. Even if those country songs are Canadian.



This is Dean Brody. If you know Canadian country music, you probably know him better than I do. This is actually the first song I've heard from him. What do I think of it? Well... it's decent, but I don't know how faithful it is to the country genre.

This seems to be one of those country songs that can just hang onto the title of "country music" because of a banjo twang here and there, but ultimately feels a little hollow because it lacks the full typical country instrumentation. Almost feels like it's a song that's embarrassed to be a country song.

But what does save it is the personality that Brody puts into his song. It gives back that country credibility that the song needs, and sounds pretty good in its own right. Brody, like many Canadian country artists, has some lyrical quirks that you don't typically find in country music.

And I say "Hey, I, want you girl"
You make my heart, heart flutter like a tilt-a-whirl

I don't know about the rest of you, but I certainly don't hear many references to tilt-a-whirls in country music. Which actually kind of surprises me. You'd think that the country and carny lives would be somewhat intertwined.

But anyway, Dean Brody gets the job done here and I do like this song. It's a good entry into the genre, and maybe it'll help spark some more Canadian country music.

No comments:

Post a Comment