Sunday, August 2, 2015

"679" - Fetty Wap ft. Remy Boyz

...this guy has officially superseded one-hit wonder status. That's weird.


I mean... I think I was nicer to "Trap Queen" than most would be, but did we really need another hit from this guy? I think after "Trap Queen", we've pretty much dissected what this guy is all about, and we can forget about him. But... no. No, we can't. Because here he is again.

I honestly don't know what to say. Is Fetty Wap the future of music? And more importantly, am I okay with that? See, that's the important question here. Whether I, personally, am okay with it.

Well, I don't think Fetty Wap is the worst thing in music I've ever heard, but listening to his stuff he's definitely still a pretty significant step down from good music. You know when you're listening to the real deal, and you know when you're listening to a gimmick. This guy is a gimmick.

At the same time, though... he's honestly giving us some of the "best" mainstream rap of 2015.


You understand that's not exactly a big accomplishment, though. I mean, you've seen the shit I've covered this year. It's just... awful. I don't think I've seen a worse year for mainstream rap, at least not the stuff actually making it onto the Hot 100.

So, while Fetty Wap isn't great, I can honestly say I don't hate his music, probably by association with what he's up against. The Remy Boyz are fine, they do the "bitches bling" thing and call it a day. But oh god, can't we aspire to more than this?

This is not good, thought-provoking music. We need to set things straight quickly if 2015 rap has any hope of being any good. But then again... maybe we should all just bow down and hail our overlord Fetty Wap. YeeeEEEaaah? NaaaAAAaaah.

No comments:

Post a Comment