Friday, July 31, 2015

Facemelt Friday: "Ex's and Oh's" - Elle King

Well, this is always a nice sight to see. More females in rock music!


Throughout rock history, the talent behind the instruments has always been heavily slanted towards one gender in particular. But the more we can get new female artists making a splash on the rock charts, the sooner we can change that statistic. So, how is this song?

Well... okay, the title of this song is really stupid.

Ex's and... Oh's? I get the tic-tac-toe thing, but in the context of the song, how do your "Oh's" haunt you? Yeah. That's where it falls apart for me. And the rest of the song is... okay.

It's honestly nothing I haven't heard from a lot of indie rock these days. The only thing this song really has going for it is Elle King's personality, which comes through in her voice, in her lyrics, and in this video. Wow! Suddenly I feel ashamed of my body for no apparent reason.

And I suppose that big, gaping personality is enough to save the song. I do hope for good things from Elle King, and I hope to hear new songs where she experiments a little with what current rock music can sound like.

No comments:

Post a Comment