Sunday, July 26, 2015

"Lean On" - Major Lazer & DJ Snake ft. M0

As the years go by, dance tracks seem to be getting less and less prevalent on the mainstream charts. I guess we were all burnt out by the end of 2013, 2014 started the decline, and now 2015 is more scarce than ever. But dance songs do still exist in popular music, as evidenced by the latest track on my queue, "Lean On" by Major Lazer and DJ Snake.


I honestly can't tell you what this means for dance music these days, but the video is definitely setting cultural relations a few steps back.

Okay, so I've talked about Diplo before, and he is one of the members of Major Lazer. His work with DJ Snake does well to create an interesting dance beat that incorporates both their styles. I'd honestly like to see more electronic music producers collaborate like this.

Beyond that, though, I'm not a huge fan of M0's vocals or the lackluster lyrics. Adding the vocals in makes that song sound like it doesn't really build up to anything, kind of nullifying DJ Snake's influence on the song. It doesn't completely ruin it, but I think it's a fairly sizable detriment.

So overall, this song is just okay for me. What this says for the future of electronic music, i don't know. We've had okay dance songs in the past. But as of now, I don't really see much here.

No comments:

Post a Comment