Friday, July 10, 2015

Flashback Friday: "Gravy (for My Mashed Potatoes)" - Dee Sharp (1962)

What the hell am I listening to?


I know that early Billboard hits had a lot of silly stuff with them, but this seems like a little... much. Right from the title, I can tell that this is probably not going to be worth my time. And I was pretty much right. It offers nothing except forgettable cheese. Sorry, that's gravy and mashed potatoes.

Okay, a little history: The "mashed potato" is actually a dance move popularized in the early 60's by James Brown. And that's really all you need to know, because this song is actually about ex. Gross, gross sex.

"Gravy for my mashed potatoes"... doesn't that just sound wrong? There's nothing too abstract about it, but I don't want to hear about sex being called that. I'd actually prefer it if I had to think about it a little. I'd still probably be disgusted, but at least I'd feel accomplished.

Nah, I don't want to talk about this. Instead, I'd like to tell you all that starting next Friday, Flashback Friday will be replaced with a more... contemporary segment. You'll find out soon enough! Seeya next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment