Sunday, July 12, 2015

"Where Are U Now" - Skrillex & Diplo with Justin Bieber

So, Skrillex has come back in a big way this year, and he's bringing Justin Bieber with him!

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6406303

We'll get to that beat in a second. For now, let's focus on Skrillex's career to date.


Skrillex's solo career began in 2008 when he started producing music in Los Angeles. He released his debut EP in 2010, and continued to build up buzz until he became a household name. However, this newest single that he has out now has been his first Top 10 hit, collaborating with electronic music producer Diplo. I remember singing the praises of their collaboration with Kiesza earlier this year. So what do I think of this?

Oh... oh, god, do I hate this.


Yeah, okay, so let's start off with that beat. The beat in "Take U There" used both Skrillex and Diplo's markings to their advantage, with Diplo's buildup and Skrillex's breakdown. But this beat is... limp and unfinished. We have a not-so-interesting buildup leading to a not-so-interesting breakdown, and I can't hear Skrillex at all in this.

Secondly, how dare you swap out Kiesza for Justin Bieber. He has never sounded more uninterested in his entire career, and he's definitely not the fireball of energy Kiesza is. It's like after the first single, everyone felt they could suddenly get boring again. And since this is doing better than their last single together, I suppose they can!

*sigh* I really wish "Take U There" had gotten popular and this tanked. Because I thought "Take U There" was the perfect melding of both Skrillex and Diplo's strengths. But this song doesn't use either of them well, and the lackluster vocalist they got definitely doesn't help. Stick to celebrity roasts of yourself, Justin Bieber.

I'm really disappointed with this follow-up single. It sounds weak and uninspired. I hope Skrillex and Diplo release better stuff than this from their album, because I'm not a fan of where they're heading. Where am I now? I'm off listening to the first single. Seeya!

No comments:

Post a Comment