Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Renegades" - X Ambassadors

Finally, an artist on here that is actually gaining popularity! I was starting to think this part of the blog was useless... or at least more useless than the rest. Anyway, X Ambassadors! 



Now I've actually heard of this song before today; it gets a fair amount of airplay on the rock stations around here. It's pretty much your basic "we are rebels and will not succumb to the norms of society" song, which, ironically, is starting to align with the norms of society. Go figure.

The song calls out to the Kubricks and the Spielbergs, which is at least a somewhat interesting turn for the song to take. I have to say, name-dropping is not usually something I hear in these types of songs. It also works to the song's advantage, citing brilliant minds that thought differently from the norm, and actually became successful as a result. That was a smart idea.

But most of it is honestly just paint-by-numbers and I feel like I've heard this song a million times before, and better. There's definitely artists from this column that I would have chosen over these guys. But to be fair, they're not terrible. They're just nothing special.

No comments:

Post a Comment