Sunday, July 5, 2015

"Good for You" - Selena Gomez ft. A$ap Rocky

Selena Gomez is back!



Selena's never been one of my favourite artists, but she's slowly finding her way, I think. After the stunning failure that was "Come & Get It", Selena's been struggling to find an identity for her adult years as a pop singer. "The Heart Wants What it Wants", a hit she had late last year kind of helped her along that path, showing that she can play the part of "lover with unhealthy attachments to bad boys" or something like that. And now, roughly seven months later, we have this song on our repertoire, "Good for You". How do I feel about it? Um...


It's... good in a creepy sort of way?

I'm a little torn on this one, so bear with me. You have Selena Gomez, basically making the most submissive pop hit of 2015.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6358328

Okay... second most.

No, you know what, I take that back. As weirdly anti-feminist as Nicki Minaj's lyrics seem, at least she seems totally on board with them. She sounds very enthusiastic about cooking and cleaning. Hey, you know what? More power to her. But Selena?

I just wanna look good for ya, good for ya
Oh, oh

This doesn't sound like she really wants to look good for her man. It just sounds like she's scared that she won't look good enough for her man. It sounds really uncomfortable.

And yet... I don't think that necessarily makes me dislike the song. I mean, if Selena Gomez released more stuff like this, I might actually be for it. Let me explain:

If Selena Gomez continued down this path, I think it would carve out an interesting persona for her. Sort of like a dark, sexy persona. Hey, some people could be into it. But if this is just a misguided attempt to make a straight-up sexy song... well, I can't really support it.

So it really all depends on what this means for Selena's future to me. If she continues down this path, great! I think it could be a really interesting journey with her music. If she doesn't... well then this song is more like a blip on the radar to me, and an uncomfortable blip at that.

Oh yeah, and A$AP Rocky is on this too. His presence makes the song a little better, I think. It makes it a little more tolerable, as we can be reassured that the guy isn't an abusive asshole. Honestly, his verse is kinda sweet. So it's definitely a good addition to the song. But I still can't quite write it off as a song I particularly love. We'll just see where Selena's career goes after this, and see if this song will be good for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment